Wednesday, June 17, 2009

 

Linear Algebra Workshop

I am attending a 11 day workshop (for faculty) on Application Oriented Linear Algebra at PESIT. 3 days over and so far sooooooooo good. If I mention one name here, no other testimonial is needed. Any current/past IIScian would know the quality of it quickly, and that big name is nothing but "Prof. R.Vittal Rao".

It is weird but true that during my 2 and half yrs stay at IISc I didn't attend a single class by this person. I had just watched a few videos. One has to sit in his class to get the complete feel of it. Every now and then he'd tell some real stories of the institute, and as we all know, any story associated with institute is very interesting.

He doesn't like the idea of coming late or going late. It seems he'd lock the door from inside as soon as he enters the class and tell the students that they are free to walk out and lock him from outside, if he exceeds time. He said, he was never locked in so far.

We asked him which book would be good for linear algebra and the guy says, "I should write a book". He doesn't support the idea of teaching from a book. He adds, "If one can't understand concepts at undergrad level, one can never get hold of them later. Hence it is important to focus on learning, rather than getting marks". If only every student realizes this!

I'll give just one example on how he teaches. There's this concept of Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors of a matrix A. Eigenvectors are those which resist the change in direction. They say, "Hit me with a strong A, I might get a dent (I might shrink or elongate), but I won't turn, I am strong". Someone long ago said, Maths is "study of invariants." So, we are interested in those which do not change.

He doesn't actually teach, he just talks. He talks Maths. He makes us feel we talk Maths too. People like him are difficult to get. I would love to be as appealing as him. I would definitely try. I always feel it is not sufficient to appreciate someone. The real appreciation should be shown in terms of actions.

Comments:
The aspiration to become a teacher like Prof. Vittal Rao is definitely good. Very rarely a person thinks and does more than appreciating a talent. Good luck.
 
Prof RVR is real good ... he trains you develop the intuition and put the proof down rigorously ... i was fortunate that i attended his classes!!!
 
a thought on the title of your blog ..... how about cogito cogito ergo cogito sum ..... i think that i think therefore i think i am
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]